Friday, November 16, 2007

Child Slavery and Chocolate

I had no idea. No more Cadbury Dairy Milk for me; it's Fair Trade Certified only from now on.
I would write a post about how before today I thought "Fair Trade" was a marketing ploy, but D just poured me a nice glass of wine and I'm not bothering with the computer any more tonight. (Tried again with Snapfish and it screwed up again. At least I discovered it much much sooner this time.)
Google will tell you what you need to know about chocolate and the child slave trade.
By the way, Dagoba is owned by Hershey's now.

In the good news column, my favorite chocolatier uses a very eco- and labor-friendly supplier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same goes for coffee.

MissoulaChick said...

While you are at it- buy organic bananas. The stuff they put on regular bananas causes you no harm as the consumer, but it frequently makes the workers blind, sterile, and/or impotent.

Just like chocolate- the end product is the same, but the making of it is unacceptable.