Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tory Tore Vito

While doing a Google search the other day about Mythbusters, I stumbled across the trivia that Mythbuster build team member Tory's name is actually Salvatore. An interesting factoid, and one that makes me like his parents' nameing sensibilities much more, since I like names that have multiple nicknames. He could go by Sal if he wanted to. I also thought that maybe he could go by Vito, but I looked up what Vito is a nickname for, and it's technically short for Vittorio. I guess that makes it fair game for any Victor as well. But I think it's fair for Salvatores, or Vincents for that matter, to use it if they want to.
I would never want to, but that's because the only Vito I ever knew was the fat, annoying kid in my third-grade class.

2 comments:

MissoulaChick said...

I think I managed to convince some pregnant friends of mine that naming a kid a nickname is less wise than naming them the longer name and then using the nickname. Let's just say they were favoring "Betsy" and I convinced them that "Elizabeth" was smarter, and then they can call her Betsy all they want.

I hope the idea stuck. They both have un-nick-nameable-names (like Anne, for example) and I'm guessing that is why this concept did not occur to them.

I am opposed to naming a kid something like Ted, or Jim. You name him Theodore or James, THEN call him Ted or Jim. Then, when/if he becomes a lawyer, the business card looks so much more reputable.

Anonymous said...

But what if you don't LIKE the full name? What if you only like Betsy, and you don't like Elizabeth?