Tuesday, August 14, 2007

More Plastic Paranoia

So, the plastic in baby bottles leaches chemicals, and the plastic in sippy cups is not suggested either. But I haven't seen many articles address the plastic ingestion that must happen with teething toys. Then I saw this post on GoodyBlog, which points out that silver rattles, which most of us think of as ornamental keepsakes, are terrific for teething because the silver is nice and cold, and the handle is small for easy gripping. When I was at my parents' this weekend, I asked my mom if she had any silver rattles from when I was little or from when she was little. She did indeed have the very rattle - a barbell-shaped little thing that has a musical clang to its rattling that my sister and I both used to grow in our teeth. The balls on the ends of the rattle have little dents from the workout we gave it.

I'm really excited about having my daughter teethe on the same rattle that I used. I will probably have to introduce some plastics at some point, but I may call the company to find out what kind of plastic it is before I let Belle stick anything in her mouth.

2 comments:

MissoulaChick said...

Make sure the old rattle is "925" stamped. That will ensure it is the correct kind of silver (i.e. no lead!).

We made it through, but maybe I coulda gotten into Mensa if it wasn't for that stinky lead rattle...

:)

JJ said...

Hmm. No 925, just "Cartier Sterling" and a maker's mark.
Think Cartier's killing us with lead?