Thursday, August 16, 2007

Losing my cool about spit-up

(Reprinted from an email to my new-mom group)

I have a question that I never thought to ask in class, but after yet another debacle this morning, I would love some advice about what to do to contain/control Belle's spit-ups after a feeding. It seems like no matter how clever I think I'm being, or how big a cloth I use to cover her, me, and the area in-between, she always ends up getting spit-up on my back, in my bra, in my lap, down my side, down her front and past her bib, or on the chair. Sometimes she'll spit up while leaning on my shoulder, sometimes when she's held sitting or standing facing me. I hate the idea of having to run to the kitchen after every breast just so the spit-up can land on the linoleum; does anyone have any suggestions? I had a particularly bad time of it this morning, with spit-up so copious my husband had to take her so I could strip and shower. It's not that there's so much volume, it's just that it ends up covering so much surface area!

2 comments:

MissoulaChick said...

I have an idea. What you need is not just a bib or cloth, you need an actual pouch that can catch the spit-up. I'll create a prototype here and send it to you.

JJ said...

What I need is an extra-long, double-sided bib, where one end is a bib for her and the other end is a bob for me, and in the middle is an expanse of cloth long enough to allow for a variety of burping poses, which a kind of pouch in the middle to catch the quick-run spit-up.