Friday, July 06, 2007

Breastmilk Captures My Imagination, part 1

Ever since I started breastfeeding, I've been really curious about breastmilk, and its potential non-baby applications. For those of you who don't know, breastmilk tastes like sweetened skim milk. That sweetness makes me think it could be the perfect coffee additive, because it puts the milk and the sugar all in one place. One could even posit that it's the perfect ratio of milk to sugar by definition - it's what our body wanted when we were infants.

I started wondering whether it would be good for making a Vietnamese coffee, which involves sweetened condensed milk. I'd have to find a way to condense breastmilk for that, though. Then I started thinking it would be cool to try to steam it for a cappuccino, but I'm not sure that would work either, because the milk (my milk, anyway) seems too thin; not fatty enough to really foam up well. It would be an excellent ingredient for iced coffee, though - you'd need quite a bit of it, but it would be perfect, I suspect.

I'm not saying I've tried any of these methods, though. And it's not like I expressed an ounce this morning due to engorgement, then used it in my morning decaf. Although if I had done that, I'm sure I would pronounce it quite a tasty endeavor.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I've had the same thought about morning coffee! It does look thinner than cow's milk, but it's actually slightly higher in fat than whole milk!

Babies can suck differently to get thirst-quenching milk that's higher in water and carbohydrate, or filling milk that's higher in fat. Amazing.

Best off-label use I've heard so far: healing cuts and eye infections. The antibacterial properties are so good, lots of moms have healed mild eye infections in less than a day with a well-aimed squirt.