Friday, June 08, 2007

PUPPdate

The PUPPs, they are still around.
Now they have "mellowed" into a general itchiness on my arms and legs, with new hives showing up mostly only on my hands and feet, though there does seem to be new growth on my upper thighs. The generalized itchiness makes it even more soothing when I scratch, so I really let myself go to town with the scratching in the hospital. Unfortunately, this means I'll now have scars from them, but I don't regret it. There's only so much a girl can take, and I don't fault myself for finding a little relief where I could.

For the first 24 hours after the surgery, I had to wear these weird things on my calves that were like large blood pressure monitors: they would rhythmically inflate and deflate, "massaging" my legs to prevent blood clots. The inside part that gets wrapped around the leg is a nylon fabric, which meant that my leg hives were being squished by a hot non-absorbent material that pushed sweat into the hives. This does not help itchiness. But I couldn't scratch, because (1) I couldn't bend over that far (see also: first 24 hrs after abdominal surgery) and (2) they were supposed to stay on so I don't get a blood clot and die. The only relief I had was the time or two that the nurse would take them off and wipe down my legs with a cool, damp washcloth. It was a real relief when those things came off. Mostly because I could scratch like the bad girl I am, but also because the machine was really loud and periodically started beeping for no discernable reason.

So now I have little dots like scratched mosquito bites on my legs and arms, and bruising where the scratching did NOT break the skin, and a red rash where the hives have 'mellowed'. It's hideous, but I suppose it's an appropriate counterpart to the latticework of stretchmarks on my belly.

1 comment:

MissoulaChick said...

Ooooo! Matt had the inflatable leg machine when he has his hernia surgery. He only had to have it for a few hours, though. It is a cool contraption when you think about it.

As for the PUPPs scarring- I don't know. Obviously, I can't see them so I'm not an expert, but generally rashes can get very very bad (blood, puss, nasty) and still not scar in the long term. Don't lose hope on that quite yet.