Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The ultimate ultrasound

Yesterday was our three-week follow-up with the maternal/fetal consultant. It was (hopefully!) our final ultrasound, and baby behaved much better this time; she showed her face to the camera, demonstrated mouth movements, and impressed the tech with her chubby cheeks and functioning heart and kidneys.
D was adorable at the ultrasound, as he always is. He loves seeing his little baby-to-be, and when the tech got a good shot of her face, his "awww" was just as heartfelt as during the first ultrasound.

My fluid is still above normal; it's 27cm, and 25cm is the high side of normal. But still, it has come down from 30cm a month ago to 29cm three weeks ago, so there's a good decline in the numbers, even if it's still abnormally high.
Baby is estimated to weigh 6lb 10oz, which makes her bigger than I was when I was born. This is considered the 67th percentile for weight, so she's big but not huge. She's gained an average of .5lb/week over the past three weeks; if she can keep that pace, I'd be on track to deliver a baby just under 9 pounds. That's big, but not Guinness big.

The consultant wants me to come in for weekly non-stress tests, which strikes me as a ridiculous waste of time, as there is no concern over her heart rate or movement, which is all the test measures. I'm going to mention it to my OB at my appointment tomorrow; maybe she can shed some light on what the point is. Or maybe she'll absolve me of them. The consultant also suggested that I talk with my OB about scheduling an induction for week 39. I'll mention it to her, but in the context of "we'd rather not unless you think it's really important to."

The meeting with the nutritionist last week was informative. She wants me eating more meat/protein, I have to count my carbs and make them a smaller percentage of my diet, and I have to eat more often. The meat/protein part is fun; D cooked chicken for the first time in maybe 10 years, and we had bison steak the other night, and tonight I'll be making a batch of egg salad for lunches. The carb thing is a little tricky because I have to pay close attention to what I'm eating, but it's easy if I keep enough non-carb foods around. The eating more often is the hard part. I'm supposed to not go more than three hours without food, and I have to have a snack near bedtime and start breakfast early, so my overnight fast is minimized. It's relentless.

No comments: