Wednesday, December 27, 2006

White (Tissue) Christmas

Christmas was great, except for the part where I was sick the entire time with a cold that started on Wednesday, and got much worse Friday evening through Sunday. The only medication that I knew I could take was Tylenol (acetominophen), so that gave limited comfort. I had a handout from my OB that said I could take Sudaphed, but when we stopped at a grocery store to pick some up, there were multiple types of Sudaphed. The sheet hadn't specified what the active ingredient is, so I couldn't figure out what to take. Finally, 9:30am Sunday morning, I decided I had to call the nurse hotline to find out what I could take.

The nurse hotline was completely useless! They said they can't even recommend Tylenol without doctor's permission.
So I had to call my OB's answering service, and they had to page the on-call doctor, who had to call me back to essentially tell me that ANY Sudaphed is OK, oh and also, any Tylenol Cold product is OK. She sounded kinda pissed.

And wouldn't you know, that very night, I received a pregnancy book as a gift, and it said the same thing, that most o-t-c decongestants are fine. Unfortunately, it also said topical benzoyl peroxide is not good. That's going to be its own post when I get around to it.

1 comment:

Karianna said...

Gah. My OB hotline had said I could take NOTHING. They were all "oh, you have a cold? You can use a saline nasal spray but that is it!" However, my OB also said I could drink wine. So, go figure.