Monday, August 20, 2007

Brita Filter Plastics

I called Brita the other day to find out about the plastics they use in their water filtration systems, and I posted what I found out over in the comment section at ZRecs.

Here's what I wrote:

I called the company, and Brita lids and filters are made from #4, polypropylene, which most sources consider safe.The containers themselves are made of a #7 called "SAN": styrene acrylonitrile. The Brita lady I spoke with specifically promised that there is no BPA in any of their plastic.

2 comments:

MissoulaChick said...

OK, I read this thing once (and I know it pertains more to a previous post but I don't care) that some major bottle manufacturer a couple of years ago suddenly switched ALL its plastics. No warning, no recall, nothing. Just a total swerve in manufacturing. I wish I knew who, but you can't TELL me that doesn't sound like someone at the labs found a bunch of deformed rat penises, and that guy called up the materials production guy, and that guy told someone in the product-law offices, and voila every product was pre-emptively made in a new "safer" material.

Boobs are safe... except that they contain measurable flame retardants. Can't win.

Kathy said...

The Slate author who's been writing about BPA did a live chat on washingtonpost.com today where she recommended tap water run through a Brita filter and drunk out of a non-BPA reusable container as the best water option in most areas of the country. (DC residents whose water comes from the icky Potomac were a notable exception.)

Go Brita! :-)