Monday, April 02, 2007

Good v. Bad

I've put off writing about the latest rounds of tests, because they've been one after the other, so I figured I'd wait til they were all done, but there's another one tomorrow, and I think it's just going to keep going, so now's as good a time as any to check in about what's up.

BAD: Ultrasound tech says there's way more fluid around the baby than there should be, and the baby is measuring two weeks larger than is normal for her age.
GOOD: Her heart and bladder functions look normal.
BAD: If the fluid and the baby's growth continue at their current rate, then either the size of my uterus will trigger pre-term labor, or the baby grow to be too big and I'll be unable to deliver it.
GOOD: There are a few reasons these things happen, and some are treatable. My doctor set up a bunch of tests, to see if we could figure it out.
BAD: First attempt at re-taking the glucose one-hour test: show up at the hospital at 7am so I can get to work on time afterwards, only to find that my doctor's office had not yet sent in the order.
GOOD: Order gets sent in that day, so I can take the test the next morning, one day before my doctor's appointment.
BAD: At the OB appointment, I find out that I failed the glucose test, and I have to go do the 3-hour one, to see if I've developed gestational diabetes. My doctor also wants me to meet with a maternal-fetal consultant, who will do some tests to figure out if maybe there's an anatomical reason for all the fluid, like if the baby's not swallowing correctly or something. Also, she's going to get me a nutritional consult, so I can adjust my diet, especially if this is gestational diabetes.
GOOD: My OB seems to be an aggressive advocate on my behalf.
BAD: My 3-hour glucose test is scheduled for the Sunday morning of the weekend my parents are visiting.
GOOD: If we get an early dinner, we can work around the fast and meet for brunch after all the testing.
BAD: Do you know what a 3-hour glucose test is?? First, I fast for 12 hours , then I go to the hospital, have a vial drawn to check if my blood sugar is in range to start the test, then drink the nasty flat orange soda. Then wait an hour, have another vial of blood drawn, wait an hour, have a third vial of blood drawn, wait an hour, have a fourth and final vial drawn. It is boring to sit around the lab waiting room for four hours, hungry.
GOOD: A call to my OB's office today, and they already had the results. I passed the test, so I don't have gestational diabetes! Go, pancreas, go!
BAD: I don't have gestational diabetes, so now it's that much harder to figure out why the baby's too big and why there's too much fluid.
GOOD: I have a meeting with that maternal-fetal consultant tomorrow, so maybe something will show up in that.
BAD: Something could come up at the consult tomorrow. Anything explanatory that the consultant can find would be bad news - anatomical disfunction or disfigurement!
GOOD: It could be something completely unknowable that doesn't show up at all.

So that's what I've been up to this past week. I'll post again when we know something new.

No comments: