Saturday, March 24, 2007

Nurse Mittens Seems To Be Prescribing Bed Rest

I love my cat.
I have to say that right off the bat, because the other night I had to do some furniture rearranging to insure that I didn't kick her or toss her out a window.

Lately, Mittens has taken to meowing at me whenever I'm awake. Constantly. She's always been a vocal kitty, but this now is with the non-stop all-the-timingness. The only time she'll settle down and not meow at me is if I'm in bed or on the couch. If I'm sitting in a chair, that's pretty good; sometimes she'll leave me alone. But if I'm up and about cooking dinner, getting dressed, straightening up... it's meowmeow meow meeeroooowww meow meow. I can get her to shut up if I pick her up and carry her around with me, but that hampers my ability to do whatever I'm doing. If only she could tolerate the Baby Bjorn, that might solve some of the problem.

So, back to the other night. I was cooking dinner, and therefore meowmeowmeowmeow. Meow. Underfoot. I'm very proud of myself for not kicking her, even gently. I didn't have any closed door behind which I could put her: the bathroom wouldn't work, because I'm in and out of that pretty regularly with my pregnancy bladder; the door to D's study with her litterbox is wedged open by the current placement of the treadmill; the baby's room is off-limits; the bedroom and stairwells seem like a bad choice if she gets angry and pees all over. So instead, I grabbed our 6' folding screen and blocked off the doorless entry to the kitchen, and closed the doored entry to the kitchen. Access Denied, Mittens!
She still meowed from behind the screen, but at least she didn't yowl, and I couldn't see her, so it was easier to ignore.

I like to think that this bodes well for my parenting skills. I might be denied sainthood for my lack of tolerance of the whining, but at least I can have the presence of mind to come up with a safe solution, right? Right?

2 comments:

MissoulaChick said...

Maybe Harriet was on a "Meow Mix" commercial before you adopted her?

Meow Meow meow meow...

JJ said...

I don't know who you are talking about. My cat's name on the blog is Mittens.
Everyone mentioned on the blog gets an alias. That makes the blog not show up when people googlesearch.

In other news, the other day, Mittens leapt up onto my back, because it was the only way to get in some snuggling. It was cute; I felt bad for her that it didn't quite work out the way she must have hoped it would.