Sunday, December 10, 2006

Digital Kitchen Scale (Blog Confession #3)

I mocked D for insisting that we include a digital kitchen scale on our wedding registry. What would we have to weigh? I'd never yet seen a recipe that called for weight. It seemed like one of the several items he wanted on the registry that he had learned about from The Food Channel, but we would never need or use.

I take it all back. He was right, and I was wrong, and my life would truly be more difficult if we did not have a small, easy-to-use digital kichen scale. I actually DO run into the need to use it when I run into crappy recipes that list ingredients like "One box of sugar". Omg. I will kill you, bitch. OK, so I have what I suspect is your "one box", and now I have to freaking halve the recipe. This is where the scale comes in: the box lists the net weight of the contents, so I can just divide in half and weigh out that much into a measuring bowl that's on a zero-ed out scale. Hooray! Crisis averted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What my kitchen scale gets used for all the time is measuring out servings of frozen french fries from the big bag. What looks good to me is about four times more than is healthy, and I refuse to count fries. I just zero out the scale with the pan on it, and pour until I hit the right number of ounces. And by the time they cook and I eat them, I'm never in the mood to make a second batch, though I'd surely eat lots more if I'd already baked them!